Sunday, October 11, 2009

What a difference a month can make...

So, I was approached by my Director, and told that there was a new and challenging opportunity for me in a new department within the IT division. My name had been tossed about as a good fit for the position, and I was encouraged to consider making the move. When your Director tells you something like this, in today's economy, its usually a pretty smart and no-brainer thing to just accept the challenge, and move on to the new position. (Which I've done.)

I've gone from managing a team of 4 highly skilled IT engineers, thoroughly trained in desktop architecture and design, electronic software distribution, and desktop configuration management, to leading 10 software developers in various projects that deal with automated Project Planning, and Datasheet Automation. (If you're interested in the minutia, contact me directly, and I'll fill you in.) Suffice it to say, that on some level I'm feeling like a fish out of water. And on another level, I am SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THE CHALLENGE.

I think I was becoming a bit stagnant in my last position. The team was pretty much on autopilot, and while we were facing some interesting changes and challenges due to significant change initiatives within the IT Organization, we still felt pretty comfortable. I am no longer feeling fully comfortable. As a matter of fact, I would venture to say that I am being pushed way outside of my comfort zone. I'm looking forward to that as well. Its always good to be able to excel when you are facing new and interesting challenges.

Stay tuned... There's plenty more to come.

No comments: