Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Holidays Cometh...

So next week is Thanksgiving. Turkey, Pumpkin Pie, Food Coma. What's a diabetic to do? Hunker down and state loudly, "Pass the potatoes please."

Work continues to be challenging. Shortly after my last post, the hammer came down in the guise of "reorganization". That Director who asked me to consider and take a new challenge within the organization found himself reorganized right out of a job. The IT department lost a total of 5 people during this round of reorganization. I walk around believing I'm leading either a charmed life, or Karma is smiling favorably on me. The position I left was cut, and there's no replacement for that job. So... If I hadn't taken this new job, I would have made a visit to the unemployment lines.

The new job continues to be a learning experience. One of my peers was kind enough to enlighten me to a well known lesson to all but me. He explained the difference between "Manager Time" and "Maker Time". The "Makers" are the developers that I am managing now. He explained how important it is to schedule meetings for my employees either early in the day, or late in the day, but to do my best not to schedule in the middle of the day. Apparently, programmers "ramp up", and become productive after the ramp up time. Disturbing their day with mid-day meetings really throws the proverbial monkey wrench into their productivity. (Lesson learned, and Thank You Ted M.)

Off to play Pinochle. (My new favorite past time)

No comments: